Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Everybody Has a Story: Day 7-Henry

OK...so I know we were supposed to photograph only people that we didn't know for this project, but our story for today had to reschedule and I've been wanting to post this since Saturday, so I'm cheating. Besides, Jeramy seems to know everyone in this town and he's only met my Grandpa a couple of times since we got married--so it kinda counts--right?

This is my Grandpa, Henry. He lives in Utah and we got to visit him this weekend. When I was a kid my sister, Christy, and I got to spend a week with Grandpa and Grandma during the summer. It was SOOO much fun! We were spoiled rotten that week and we have many memories of spending time with them.

The smell of sawdust reminds me of Grandpa. He made his living as a church carpenter and built LDS churches all over Utah and Southeast Idaho. He had a great big workshop in his basement filled with all sorts of tools and we would make "flippers" or slingshots. Unfortunately, I'd only get to test my flipper out once or twice before hitting something (or someone) that I shouldn't. Let's just say that my aim isn't as good as my Dad's--who has been known to break windows from blocks away with his flipper--but that is another story.

I wish I could show you a picture of Grandma. She was an amazing lady. She died from colon cancer back in 1997 and we all miss her so much. Jessee learned to walk at her viewing. There was this big, glass table in the middle of the lobby of the funeral home and Jess toddled back and forth across that room and never once fell near that table. I think it was because Grandma was watching over her. :)

Grandma used to make us Barbie clothes galore. Christy and I used to play with them for hours. Grandma would make 2 of every outfit, usually one pink and one blue. We would make a big pile and take turns picking out the outfits we wanted while Steven (who was 2-years-old) threw all of our Barbie shoes down the heat vent. It usually ended in Christy and I dragging Steven out of our room and barricading the door with him sitting outside crying. That's what he got for throwing our shoes down the vent, and that's what we got for not letting him play something better than Barbies!

I asked Grandpa how he met Grandma. His sister, Leah, had a bunch of friends and Grandpa said that he picked the best out of the bunch. And yes, it was love at first sight. Love you Gramps!

hb1

_DSC0020_8047

Can't believe I still have these--too bad I don't have shoes to match :)
hb3

Grandma even made me brown polyester pants just like my Barbies!
hb4

hb5

No comments:

Post a Comment